Is there anything more comforting then a delicious stack of fluffy pancakes on a Sunday morning? I don’t think so! Show all your non vegan friends that you don’t need eggs, milk or gluten to create delicious pancakes. These pancakes will be a hit amongst all of your omnivorous friends.
This recipe calls for buckwheat flour only, and will leave you with a delicious stack of pancakes in less then 30 minutes. This stack will feed about two people, or if you’re as much as a monster as i am only one, just kidding (or am i?).
This recipe is simple and versatile, you can make them as plain or special as you like. Do you want blueberry pancakes? just throw in some blueberries. Maybe you are craving chai spiced pancakes, just throw in some chai spices. What about chocolate pancakes, craving those? just add some raw cacao powder and call it a day. You could even have red velvet pancakes. These pancakes know no limits, be bold and experiment!
This day i decided to go for a something a little different and decide to add chai spices to my pancake batter. After baking half of the batter i added some raw cacao powder to make a chocolate/chai pancake. You can choose the easy road and buy your chai spice mix from the store or you can make it yourself. To make it yourself just throw pinches of ground cardamon, cloves, cinnamon, star anise and ginger.
Take this recipe and make it your own, mix match and create something wonderful!
- 1 cup buckwheat flour about 150 grams
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp unrefined cane sugar or sweetener of choise
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tbsp ground flex seed ground
- 2 tbsp water
vegan butter milk
- 1 1/4 cup plantbased milk About 270 ml
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To create the flax egg combine 1 tbsp ground flax seed with 2 tbsp water and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- To make the buttermilk you need to combine the lemon juice* with the non dairy milk of your choosing. When u let this rest for 5 to 10 minutes it will start to curdle a bit, this is when the buttermilk is done. You can also already add the vanilla extract to the milk.
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients until everything is mixed well.
- Now add the flax egg and the buttermilk and whisk everything together until you get a smooth batter.
- Add a small amount of coconut oil to a non stick pan and spread it out with a paper towel. Turn your heat to medium and wait until the pan gets hot and add the batter to the pan, now put the heat to medium/low. The moment the top of the pancake gets a bit dry flip it carefully and cook for another minute. Now all thats left to do is to dress up your pancakes whichever way you like.