Edit: I’m updating all my old blog posts, to reflect my current photography and recipe development. Being someone who loves a good cringe-worthy moment, I left the original picture at the end of the post, enjoy!
Hi there! I am super excited to be writing my first blog post. A little over a year ago I would’ve laughed in your face if you’d tell me i would be starting a vegan blog. Oh, how the tides have turned (for the better). For a while now I have been waiting for the “perfect moment” to start a blog, but that moment never came. Now I’m just throwing myself in the deep, knowing there is no “perfect moment”. Now is all we’ve got.
So to start i decided to make a recipe using one of my kitchen essential, chickpeas. if there is one thing i am never short of, it would be chickpeas. These versatile, protein packed legumes can be turned into delicious falafel or smooth and creamy hummus in just a few minutes. U can dip this hummus with fresh veggies, spread them on your favourite flax cracker, or just eat it by the spoonful!
The ingredients are quite basic, but I always like to do things a little different. The roasted bell pepper and smoked paprika powder give this hummus a delicious smoky flavour.
Roasted bell pepper hummus
- 250 grams chickpeas
- 3 Bell peppers roasted (might safe some for garnishing)
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp tahini about 50 grams
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
Roasting Bell Pepper
- to roast the bell peppers, preheat a oven with broiler on maximum heat or roast them over a flame until the skin has blackened and burned. When using the oven turn the bell pepper every time the side close to the heating element has turned black. When using the stove top flame, also turn until all of the skin has blackened.
- Once all the skin has burnt, add the bell peppers to a bowl and cover to let them steam. This way you can easily peel of the burned skin once cooled down.
- Now add the roasted bell peppers (seeds and skin removed) and all the remaining ingredients into a food processor or high speed blender until completely smooth.