Yes you read that right, vegan shrimp are a thing. I’ve been buying my at an Asian grocery store in the Netherlands. After doing some digging I’ve found that more Asian grocery stores around the world sell this product. You should find it in the freezer section. Now let’s make some vegan curry shrimp.
As promised on my Instagram I’ll be creating a couple of recipes using these meat/fish alternatives to show you just how delicious they can be. One thing that can no longer be denied is that our species consumes way to much meat and we need to drastically reduce that consumption. We’ve seen what it does to the amazon. So I invite you to try these recipes with your non vegan family and friends.
The texture of this product comes very close to that of shrimp, so it’s great for non vegans. I’ve served it to a couple of non vegan family members and friends who were pleasantly surprised. There are plenty of ways of peparing these vegan shrimp. Below I share with you one of these ways so you can try it for yourself.
One of my favourite shrimp dishes from before I went vegan was a coconut curry shrimp dish. I also love the Surinamese version with lots of pepper, yardlong bean (kouseband) and rice. Today I’m making a fusion by making a coconut curry sauce and adding adjuma and yardlong bean.
If you aren’t able to find yardlong bean you can switch it our for any green of choice, for example sugar snaps and broccoli. Adjuma pepper is hot and not always easy to come by, therefor you can use habanero or chili pepper instead. Just adding a generous amount of black pepper would work out too. I personally find that the aroma of the adjuma adds extra depth of flavour.
Vegan Curry Shrimp
- 200 grams vegan shrimp
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 tbsp hindustani masala any yellow masala (curry powder) would work
- 1 adjuma pepper or chili pepper
- 1 can coconut milk full fat
- 200 grams yardlong beans
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Thaw the vegan shrimp. Warm a cooking pan over medium heat. Once hot add a tbsp of oil and pan fry the shrimps until browned. Put them on a plate and safe them for the curry.
- Start by warming a large cooking pan over medium/low heat. Add about a tbsp of oil and lightly cook the onion until it's translucent. Now add the garlic and cook it for two minutes
- Now add the finely diced tomato and bell pepper. Stir this until the bell pepper becomes soft and the tomato starts to break down and come together. Now you can add the spices and mix well.
- Add the vegan shrimps, coconut milk, soy sauce and the pepper. If you're using the adjuma pepper, you can put it in whole. If you are really into very very spicy foods you can chop it.
- Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for a about 10 minutes. Serve it with rice and top it of with cilantro. Enjoy