Allright, let’s get one thing straight! These vegan ground “beef” quesadilla obviously have no meat, but they are just as comforting. So look no further if you need to full-fill your cravings.
As a teen quesadilla’s were some of my go to meals. Let me just say that around this time I wasn’t exactly know for my cooking skills, but I made a mean quesadilla. Yes, they were actually quite mean as I’d fill them with a criminal amount of hot peppers, but I loved it!
These vegan ground beef quesadilla are a less hostile so don’t you worry! You can of course skip the heat by dropping the chili pepper. As for ground “beef” I went with the garden gourmet brand (not-sponsored). You can use whichever brand you prefer.
Making these vegan quesadilla without ground “beef”
If you don’t want to use a vegan meat replacement and rather have a less processed form of vegan protein I’ve got you covered. You can swap it for tofu and if you want to up it you can use this classic tofu scramble as a base. If you do so you can skip the chives and use the spices in this recipe.
When you use the tofu make sure to squeeze out the moisture and cook it in enough oil. When the tofu has browned remove the excess oil and finish prepping with the ingredients listed below.
To finish these I added some cilantro and the blue garlic mayo from my cookbook. You can get a dutch, signed copy from the book over here. You can of course serve it with your sauce of choice.
One love, Jason
vegan ground meat quesadilla
- 4 tortillas of choice
- 200 gram vegan ground meat whatever brand you like best. for example, beyond meat
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 chili pepper finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/2 tsp all spice ground
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper ground
- 1/4 tsp salt or more to taste
- 200 gram vegan cheese shredded
- Warm a pan over medium/high heat, add a splash of oil and cook the onion, garlic and chili for about 2 minutes. Add the vegan ground beef and cook this for 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree and spices and stir well, cook for 1 minute and taste for salt.
Assembling the tortilla
- Lay the tortilla on a flat surface, cover half of it with some shreds of vegan cheese, add a bit of vegan ground "meat", top off with some more cheese and fold to close.
- Warm a pan over medium/low heat and add a gentle splash of oil (about a tsp), place the tortilla and press lightly. Cook with a lid until the bottom is brown and crisp. Flip and press gently, cook without a lid until the other-side is crisp too.
- Serve with some cilantro and sauce of choice. Here I used the blue garlic mayo from my cookbook. Enjoy!