You may or may not know that I do not have much of a sweet tooth, well that all changed with this recipe…
For me the combination of the sweet chocolate brownie and salted caramel sauce creates a perfect balance between salty and sweet. The sauce itself is still sweet, but salty enough to somehow satisfy my savory needs, it’s a magical combination!
These are extremely indulgent and should be enjoyed every now and then. If you’re looking for a more healthy brownie you can try the raw vegan version of this recipe. Having said that, these are still decently healthy because we swapped regular sugar for coconut sugar. I know, it’s still sugar! But it’s a healthier alternative compared to the white variety with a lower Glycemic Index.
The past two weeks I’ve made this recipe four times to test it and every time they disappeared in thin air. This also means that I had way to many brownies, so the next recipe is probably going to be a salad.
You can half the caramel sauce recipe, but I like to make a bigger batch so I can use it multiple times, it’s also great on ice cream! Another adjustment you can make is leaving out the salt to make a simple caramel sauce.
If you recreate this recipe don’t forget to drop a comment down below and feel free to tag and follow me on instagram and facebook.
Salted Caramel Brownies
- 1 cup flour 150 grams
- 2 tsp baking powder 10 grams
- 4 tbsp cacao powder 25 grams
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 flax eggs 2 tbsp crushed flax seeds w/ 4 tbsp water
- 200 grams Chocolate
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt I used himalayan rock salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 175 Celsius Start by making 2 flax eggs by mixing 2 tbsp crushed or ground flax seeds with 4 tbsp water. Let it sit to thicken.
- Now melt the chocolate over a double boiler or by using the microwave. Set it aside to cool.
- To a large bowl add sift in the flower, baking powder and cacao powder. Add the coconut sugar and mix well.
- Add the oil, melted chocolate, flax eggs and non dairy milk to the flour and mix well. Pour the batter in a parchment lined baking dish and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes. Serve with the salted caramel drizzle, enjoy!
- After bringing it to a boil, lower the heat and let it simmer until the sauce has started to thicken while stirring occasionally. In between stirring you can prepare the brownie batter.
- Stir while simmering for about 35 to 40 minutes depending on how much liquid the coconut milk has. Once you get a thick coating on the back of your spoon, the sauce is done. Turn of the heat and let it cool to thicken even further. This makes enough for 2 batches of brownies. Add salt to taste (I added 1/2 tsp Himalayan rock salt)
Leave a Reply