One of the things I really enjoy during the colder months are soups, eating a soup is like getting a warm hug from the inside out, they’re very comforting. Almost every single week I try to make a huge pot of soup that’ll last me a couple of days, they’re my go to prep meal! This weeks soup will feature two of my favourite things, carrots and curry.
fun fact: Carrots are actually one of my favourite root vegetables, especially eaten raw or juiced, the only downside is that I’m highly allergic to raw carrots.
This soup is creamy and full of flavour! I used one of my favourite masala curry powders which I buy at the Surinamese grocery stores, but you can use any curry powder you can find. We’ll be making this soup a bit creamy by adding some cauliflower, if you hate cauliflower you can always use potatoes or if you love coconut you can use a can of full fat coconut milk. Like with any other dish I encourage you to experiment and try out new flavours that will appeal to your taste buds! But don’t forget the main star which is our carrot and curry combination.
This is another post that will only require about 30 minutes to make (if you don’t count the chopping) and apart from chopping isn’t very labor intensive, which in my book makes this a quick and easy meal.
You can top this soup with some cilantro, pine nuts, black sesame seeds or whatever else your heart desires, maybe a drizzle of vegan sour cream or vegan yoghurt. It’s equally delicious topped with some fresh basil and some chopped spring onions.
Now let’s get cooking!
Feel free to leave a comment below or to tag me in your recreations on Instragram and don’t forget to like my Facebook page!
Spicy Carrot Curry Soup.
- 1 kilo carrots or 2 pounds
- 1 leek
- 1/2 cauliflower
- 1 onion
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 8 cups water or enough to cover the vegetable.
- 1 chilli pepper or adjuma if you're brave
- 1 handful cilantro (optional)
- chop all the vegetables and start by sauteeing the onions and garlic for about 3 minutes. now add the carrots, cauliflower, leek and curry powder and stir it around for about 2 minutes.
- Now add the water, vegetable bouillon and pepper and let it simmer until the carrot and cauliflower are soft. Once they are soft you can blend it all using a stick blender or by blending it in a regular blender, until you get a smooth and creamy soup. serve with cilantro. Enjoy.
I agree that the cayenne pepper and curry powder needs to be cut in half as its too spicy especially for an appetizer.
Yes I guess I’ve got quite the tolerance towards heat! I’m trying to stay mindful of this, thanks for the feedback! <3